2019-2020 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Central Processing Technology Technical Certificate
Contact Information: Program Office 615-353-3708, Program Site, E-mail: Kelley.Schmidt@nscc.edu
A graduate may become credentialed through the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials Management (IAHCSMM) as a Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) and by the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) as a Central Service Processing and Distribution Technician (CSPDT).
The Central Processing Technology program prepares students for employment in a variety of surgical support settings. The program includes extensive classroom time as well as practical experience preparing students for all major job duties in central processing and distribution facilities.
NSCC Central Processing Technology Program Goal Statement:
The Central Processing Technology program is an educational experience that produces competent entry-level central processing technicians in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains and prepares them to successfully complete the certification exam of their choice. The program provides the qualified and motivated applicant with experiences in a learner-centered environment that is supportive and responsive to their individual needs. Learning experiences are facilitated by qualified faculty and/or preceptors and are designed to help the student learn to independently apply sound theory to practice.
Graduates of the program should be able to:
- Recognize elements of good patient care and prioritize them before less important elements in the surgical support setting;
- Behave professionally in a stressful environment with demanding personalities while remaining calm and focused; and
- Accurately plan for and perform duties of a central processing technician in common surgical support roles.
- Must submit an NSCC Application for Admission;
- Must have high school diploma or GED;
- Must have satisfied all ENGL and READ learning support and ESOL requirements in English and reading prior to starting the program (MATH not required);
- Must submit a complete program application by the appropriate deadline;
- Must submit complete set of transcripts with program application by the appropriate deadline; and
- Must complete a panel interview.
- Selection will be based on a composite admission score consisting of points from the panel interview, GPA, related work experience, and courses taken toward the program.
Completion of this certificate will give the graduate advanced placement in the selection process for the Surgical Technology program.
Anticipated estimated costs to the student will include books, lab supplies, medical services (lab analysis for titers), CPR certification, and membership and exam fees. Taking a credentialing examination is a requirement to complete the program.
NOTE: Prospective students will be required to provide a copy of a background check and may be required to complete a drug screening. NSCC does not use the background check or drug screenings as criteria for admission to the program. Background checks and/or drug screenings are required by clinical sites as a condition of participation. Students are required to participate in a variety of clinical experiences to successfully complete the program. For questions regarding the background check, please call 615-353-3708
The student majoring in Central Sterile Processing must receive a “C” or above in each course in order to meet prerequisite requirements for subsequent courses. “C” or higher in all courses is also a graduation requirement.