Contact Information: Program Office 615-353-3705, E-mail: Eli.Alvarado@nscc.edu, Program Site
The Healthcare/IT Medical Management Technical Certificate is intended to provide entry-level skills for students wanting to begin a career in the healthcare IT arena. Healthcare IT positions are available in various medical environments.
Graduates of the program should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations affecting medical office technologies;
- Maintain electronic health/medical records for a medical office environment;
- Demonstrate proficiency in hardware and software applications commonly used in a medical office environment;
- Identify various types of healthcare delivery systems;
- Define, troubleshoot, and solve common IT needs in a medical office environment; and
- Demonstrate an understanding of electronic medical reimbursement and billing practices.
- Physician Offices
- Insurance Companies
- Extended Care Facilities
Students must establish placement by transfer credits, college entrance exam scores, or college placement testing.
A grade of “C” or above in all HCM courses must be earned prior to graduation. Students must maintain a grade of “C” or higher in order to progress in the Healthcare Management program.
This certificate is designed so that a student can apply all of the required courses toward a Nashville State A.A.S. degree in Healthcare Management, Medical Management concentration. A student who plans to apply the certificate toward an A.A.S. degree should consult his/her advisor about articulation options.